Thursday, August 20, 2015

Ten Best Things About Living in South Korea


In a few days, it'll be a total of three years that I've been living and teaching in South Korea.  While it's been a mixture of ups and downs, I can with certainty say that it's been an experience I'm really grateful for.  It started with heavy doses of culture shock (live fish and other seafood in the markets), a continuous bowing to nearly everyone I'd meet and trying to the learn hangul, the Korean alphabet.  But as I'm gearing up to leave this country that has been home away from home, I'm reminded of how good it's actually been living fourteen hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time (EST) on the opposite side of the world.

Here are the ten best things about living (and teaching) in South Korea.



1.  THE cutest kids ever.  As an EFL teacher, I work hard to prepare engaging lessons that are relative to the objectives.  I make sure to create classroom routines and procedures that are easily understood and doable.  While these are definite strategies in any classroom, they are easily adhered to by THE most adorable and fun loving children I'd ever met.  My (elementary) students gladly take photos with me, sporting the every popular "kimchi" pose.

2.  Sales tax is included in the purchase price and other conveniences.  Know that 7% sales tax that gets added to the purchase  price in most states across America.  You know... if you purchase something thats $.99, you actually pay perhaps, $1.06.  Not in Korea, where ever your purchasing goods, the sales price is the only thing you'll pay.  Other conveniences is the rate at which things happen; building go up seemingly overnight, rush our aside, an efficient subway system

3.  Being exempt from tax.  As an American, you qualify exemption from foreign taxes for the first two years of employment abroad.  How do you qualify?  Go to the IRS website, here and download Form 8802 and follow the instructions.


4.  Affordable travel to nearby countries.  With Japan, Taiwan, Thailand, Laos and other countries in close proximity to Korea, it's a dream to be able to get to those countries at very reasonable prices, especially if you book early.  Actually, it's pretty typical.


5.  A paid for apartment.  As a Guest English Teacher, though cozy, my studio apartment came fully furnished and paid for, for the one year I'm a contracted teacher.  Even with teachers working for private academies, or hagwons, this is pretty much the norm.

6.  A pension plan.  You'll like pay a small portion of your paycheck towards your pension.  Your pension contribution gets matched by your employer and when you decided to leave Korea at the end of your contract, you get that money back usually in a lump sum.  This is the case for Americans, however not the case for Canadians.  Persons from the UK usually have to have taught for several years before they qualify for the pension.


7.  The great outdoors.  In general, Koreans love to hike and to go camping.  With Korea being such a mountainous country, it's a great way to get out there for fresh air and exercise.  I've earned some bragging rights in saying that I fact climbed Korea's tallest mountain, Hallasan in October 2013.


8.  Korean food.  It took a while to grow (kimchi especially) on me, but I've found some Korean foods to be comfort foods.  With appetizers that come with your meal, it's easy to get into the habit of eating out.  In addition, the appetizers are FREE.  Some of my favorites as a vegetarian, bibbimbap, doenjang jiggae, japchae noodles, kal guk su, bibbimguk su, yachae juk,


9.  Wifi everywhere.  Korea might be the most wired country in the world.  Go to the convenience store, you'll likely be able to pick up their signal for free.


10.  Random kindness from total strangers.  This has happened to me more times that I remember.  I'm in Seoul, trying to figure out where I need to go and someone approaches me to ask if I need any help getting to where I'm going.  On other occasions, struggling with a bag up a flight of stairs, someone approaches me to help with a pleasant smile on their face.  On the bus, someone may get up for me to sit down.  I've been given at random, tangerines, vitamin C drinks from the bus driver.  Out for dinner with your coworkers, it's paid for.  Invited out with anyone Korean, they take the honor in paying for your meal.

Are you in Korea?  What are the top things you like in living here?

No comments: