Sunday, December 28, 2014

Life in Korea: A Day in the Life of an English Teacher

Jeju in Autumn
I'm usually out the door of my one room officetel on the third floor by 7:30 am.  This is my routine for when teaching at my main school near Jeju-si.

Ear phones plugged in and hooked up to my iTunes playlist, I love the walk to work. It'll usually take me between 30-40 minutes to get to my school, but even when it's raining, it's a great start to my day.


I walk across the school yard and approach the building from the rear entrance.  "Anyeonghasayoh", the little ones bow to me or "Hi Nailah Teacher" the older ones smile and wave.  I can't help but to smile.  I greet the vice principal with a bow and a cheerful greeting and with that, I head up to the English classroom with about one hour to spare before the first English class at  9:10.

I just love teaching but I especially love the 5th grade classes.  They're able to self-regulate and their English skill level is just enough for us to have an even exchange.

I sound off, "Good morning boy and girls!" and they respond, "Good morning Teacher, how are you?  It's a bit dramatic, but that's alright.  I ask my students how they are feeling and after a few responses, we get into the day's lesson.

After about four, 40 minute classes, I'm done teaching for the day.  That's right, by lunch time, my teaching day is over, although my work schedule will continue until 5:00 pm.

Lunch time at my main school is something special.  As a vegetarian, I started off bringing my lunch to school.  But on days where meatless foods were served, I ate with the rest of the school.  After about a month of sampling, the school's cafetaria staff and I made a deal:  They would provide me a vegetarian lunch.  What a blessing!

School lunch
I end my teaching day around 5 p.m.  I bid my coTeacher farewell, find the school's vice principal and bow solemnly to her and I head home much the same way I started my morning, earphones in with more pep in my step on a Friday afternnoon.

After that 40 minute walk, I'm totally spent.  I prepare or warm up my dinner and find my favorite gossip queen talk show host Wendy Willliams on YouTube to catch up on the latest rumors stateside.  The View just needs to get off the air, if you ask me. It's so not the same without Sherri Sheppard and Barbara Walters, but that's none of my business.

If it's Friday, I may be out and about.  But chances are, I'm at home looking forward to an early start on Saturday morning exploring Jeju Island hiking, sightseeing or cleaning my apartment.

Vegan dinner for one~



No comments: