Monday, July 21, 2014

Jeju Island Editions: Sunrise Peak


View from atop Sunrise Peak, May 2014
Sunrise Peak or Seonsan Ilchubong Peak is located on the north-east coast of Jeju Island.  I've had the opportunity to take the short 20 minute (but steep) hike up to Sunrise Peak on two occasions and both times, it was a great opportunity to take photos of the incredible view of Jeju Island from 182 meters up.  Named one of UNESCO's World Heritage sites, Sunrise Peak is nothing short of amazing.


Riding a horse for the first time, September 2013
On both occasions, the hike was humming with Koreans of all ages; from very young to senior citizens making the hike with the aid of a walking stick or crane.  With the opportunity to stop and take photos along the way or just take a break, there are a several platforms made just for that.  In the early spring, you might be able to smell the jasmine flowers in bloom.  And on a clear day, you can see so much more of Jeju-do.

On my first trip to Sunrise Peak, I took the opportunity to ride a horse for the first time.  I could tell the horse was a bit nervous and so was I, but after a few short rounds in a circle, I realized I didn't like it all that much.

On my second hike up Sunrise Peak, it was a warm day in May.  Perfectly sunny, and not too hot.  In the company of a friend visiting from the mainland and her uncle Tom (I can't make this stuff up) we took atleast two breaks (one for me and one for her uncle Tom) and we made it to the top comfortably and took a few pics from the top.  The stroll down from Sunrise Peak, is perhaps just as breathtaking as the view from the top cause you get to admire it all the way down.


No comments: