Friday, April 11, 2014

Moments of Clarity: Fret Not Thyself


Understand the wisdom in the words of King David
As a child about 8 or 9 years old, I remember being told to read (and memorize) Psalms 37, but couldn’t fathom what the words meant or how it applied to me even when an adult tried to explain it to me. Perhaps my mind wasn’t developed enough to understand the wisdom in the words of King David or perhaps I was trying to comprehend more than I needed to know.  

Nevertheless, King David’s instruction to refrain from fretting or getting over what people say and do still applies.

I often like to observe people interacting with others.  More than listening to what’s said, I like to observe body language which can tell a different story.  I also pay attention to tone and in my humble observation of students playing or a teacher teaching, I can get a sense of what’s going on, even when it’s in another language.  More than observing people, I like watching animals whether at the zoo or a documentary; I find it’s quite interesting how communication occurs without words.

Perhaps they’re oblivious?
Still, even as I get upset over what I perceive as intentional (and sometimes, it’s not), I realize it does me no good to fret over how selfish, manipulative and conniving people can and will be.  One, it solves nothing and two, I’m usually the only one that’s experiencing negative emotions in this situation.  Truth is,  I’m usually so stunned by how callous and thoughtless some people can be.  Perhaps their oblivious to the impact they’re having on others or maybe they’re acting with the intention to do harm or some where in between.  Still, when it comes to me, feelings of anger linger with an intensity that’s maddening but that’s quite unproductive.

Evil is such an intense word...
Which brings me back to the words of King David, “Fret not thyself because of evil-doers, Neither be thou envious against them that work unrighteousness.”  Evil is such an intense word; it’s a word that can carry the result of Hitler’s reign, the hatred toward African-Americans who fought for Civil Rights and more recently the lack of civil rights for homosexuals in Nigeria, Sudan and other countries in Africa where homosexuality is punishable by death or life imprisonment.  Perhaps, if you’re a Christian who holds to what the bible says about homosexuality, you’re view of what’s evil is persons who live a homosexual lifestyle.

I realize that people will be people...
But, as I think of King David’s words, “Fret not thyself…” and the world I live in, I realize that people will be people… and that I shouldn’t be surprised that people will think of themselves first and commit evil acts whether it’s being manipulative, conniving, lying, cheating (or on the more extreme side, murderous, taking advantage of others, being hugely deceptive etc.).

Don’t get upset!

Truly, the surprise is when people think of others.  One interpretation of this passage is “Don’t get upset when people disregard you…Don’t get upset when people put you down and, don’t respond in anger when people are just being people.   It’s not fair that I expect anything from people, it certainly isn’t fair to them and the result lets me know, it isn’t fair to me either.  The simple fact of the matter, people will be people and what people show you about themselves is what you can expect from them.  Sad, but true.


No comments: