Saturday, August 23, 2014

Jeju Island Editions: 4 Best Beaches on Jeju Island

Hamdoek Beach
When I made the decision to come relocate to Jeju Island as my initial contract teaching in Pohang was coming to a close, I thought, beautiful beaches and remarkable scenery.  I hadn't heard anything negative about the island.  Sure, foreigners here are quite cliquish and it is rather small, but that can be a good thing...maybe.

Unfortunately, six months of teaching here amidst an egregious co-teacher, I was ready to call it quits, back up my bags and perhaps start graduate school at Florida International University.  Luckily, during my vacation in Taipei I found out that my school assignment had changed and I was congratulated on being placed elsewhere.  Happy about my good fortune, I counted my blessings!

Since then, I've adjusted nicely to my new school and finally settling in to life on Jeju Island and back to my initial thoughts on Jeju:  beautiful beaches and wonderful sceneries.


And they are beautiful!  Of the 13 beaches on Cheju-do, here are the top four to beach bum it to on your next visit to Jeju Island and if you live here, you know what I'm talking about!
Hamdoek Beach

#1  Hamdoek Beach

Hamdoek beach is incredible!  Home to Jeju Furey's twice yearly beach volley tournaments, it matches everything you might have heard about Jeju Island. 
It's located on the north-east coast on Jeju Island and from the city hall area, you can easily access it on bus #20 or #10.  As with most beaches on Jeju Island, there are tons of conveniences right on the boardwalk.  There are also umbrellas to rent rather cheaply between 5-10,000 won as well as inner tubes for lounging lazily in the water.  After you see with your own eyes just how beautiful the waters are, you be back again and again.

Things to do in the nearby area:
1.  Go camping.  There a camping ground to the far right when facing the beach.
2.  Hiking.  Ole Trail #19.

Taking in the cool water at Hyeopjae Beach

#2  Hyeopjae Beach

Another great beach with great scenery to take in!  The water is amazing and like most of the beaches on the island it shallow for several hundred feet out.  So, if like most Koreans, you don't swim but like the water, it's perfect.

It offers lots of eateries in the area including a 'Big Burger' restaurant.  There are also umbrellas, table/chairs and inner tubes available for rent and a bar right on the beach.

Things to do in the nearby area:
1.  Hallim Park, a huge garden booming with flowers in season, a few caves, waterfalls and several bird species including the peacock.
Cost:  9,000 won (13+)

Hanging out with a couple friends at 3 Jungmun Beach 

#3 Jungmun Beach

Jungmun Beach is located in the southern part of Jeju Island, Seogwipo.  Seogwipo is a bit more relaxed that the hustle and bustle of city life in Jeju-si and is a notable tourist town with several huge hotel chains in the area and a well known resort offering tourism attractions like The Chocolate Museum, The Teddy Bear Museum, Ripley's Believe it or Not, and several others.

Once on Jungmun Beach, you'll notice the sand right away, it's absolutely beautiful!  It sort of looks like crush jewels sprinkled all over creating a gem of a beach.

Perfect 'beach day' at Kimnyeong Beach

#4  Kimnyeong Beach

Kimnyeong Beach is absolutely amazing!  I first visited this beach as a short stop on my way to 
Sunrise Peak with friends last November.  It's a bit more secluded than the other beaches I've been to.  So, if you're looking for some one on one time or time with some close knit friends, this beach is perfect!  It has several spots for entering the water and the volcanic rock that makes up part of the scenery for the beach, makes lounging in the water an even better treat.  Windmills in the distance adds to the aesthetic quality of Kimnyeong Beach.


No comments: