Monday, March 17, 2014

Life in Korea: I'm Halfway There

keep-calm-you-re-halfway-there-1
Contrary to the school year in the United States and most other countries in the Western Hemisphere, March marks the beginning of the school year for South Koreans.  Something about the Spring and a fresh start…However, for me, its six months into a one year contract with EPIK (English Program in Korea).  Which only means I’m half way through and really, I’m already counting down.
This is my second year in Korea.  A year I felt quite apprehensive about spending in Korea but with a shaky economy in the U.S and many other places, Korea was the best (well only) option.  It’s been a totally different experience the second time around with lots of hiccups from the beginning and several bumps along the way.   No surprise that the last six months continued much the way it started and well, I wasn’t sure I’d make it through my one-year contract.  


However, it March!  And having been transferred to a new school, things are finally smoothing out.  I have a new co-teacher whose personality works well with mine and awesome students that usually greets me with a cheerful “Hello Teacher” or “Hello Nailah” throughout the day.  I’m grateful for the change.  :-)
Still, with six months left teaching in Jeju, I want to make the most of it and see and do all that there is on this beautiful island known for its natural beauty, and dubbed “Honey Moon Island”.  I’ve done lots of interesting things in Jeju already, but there is still much left to be explored.  After all, it’s gonna be over soon and I want to make sure to get in some good memories and good times before it’s all over and I’m on to the next adventure…

I’ve had a few Facebook friends tell me they’re living vicariously through me.  It’s a sentiment I appreciate and finally, I think it’s time to relax and enjoy what South Korea has to offer for expats like me, living and teaching in Asia.  

What are your coping strategies for getting through rough times?


No comments: