Saturday, June 15, 2013

Tokyo, Japan

On my way out of Korea, I decided that Tokyo was close enough to pay a visit and expensive enough to stay only a few days.  Three days and two nights would be enough for me to get a feel of life there, enjoy some touring and contribute to Japan's booming economy.  I'm at Khaosan Tokyo Original hostel which is a short distance from Asakusa Station.  From Narita Airport, it took about an hour to get here and about 1,400 yen which is about $14. I'd always wondered about life on the other side of the world, namely Asia and after a year in South Korea, I could add Tokyo to the list of places I'd visited.

Cars drive on the lefts-side of the street and steering wheels are on the right side in cars.  So, everything is pretty much backwards when compared to Korea and the United States.  Although, this is the same for my home and native Trinidad and Tobago.  I didn't expect to find that here.  I'm finding that Tokyo is definitely a bicycle friendly city.  From old folks to working men and women in office attire, I see lot's of people on bicycle.  I even saw an apartment that had a stacked bicycle rack; it's very innovative and yea, well, a very healthy way to live.
I had a nice dinner at one of the only restaurants that offered translation in English of their menu.  Chinese food in Japan turned out be a good idea and while pointing to and making an "X" with my hands, as to say no meat, the chef smiles and says, "Do you only want vegetables?", to which I say, "Yesss!"  Chow Mein was a good meal choice, it had everything I needed and I was thoroughly satisfied.  Afterwards, I took a walk about the busy streets and realized just how many bicycles were about the streets.  They were everywhere!  The "streets" didn't seem big enough for cars actually, but then again these weren't main streets.

My hostel is close to Sumida River and apparently, there's a cruise that runs along it. As a matter of fact, it's right outside my window.  I'm gonna check that out today. The Sumida River turned out to be another means to transport people from one place to another and the River "Cruise" was more of a ferry.  I took it to Hanoide Station and continued my exploration and sightseeing in Tokyo.


After a morning jog to a nearby tower, I decided to start my sightseeing at Sky Tower.  Although I left the hostel by 9 am, by 930, it was already crowded. This was gonna be exciting!  Once inside the building, well dressed guides steered the crowds hall ways and to elevators which after 60 seconds, we were 1200 ft up.  Much to do and see at Sky Tree Tower.  I'm glad I started there.

I spent the day doing just about everything on my itinerary for the day and at the end of that day, I had my tired feet to show for it and of course well, the pictures.  What a day sightseeing in Tokyo!  I enjoyed it immensely.  I couldn't wait for day two.


Day 2.  I started pretty early as I want to squeeze in as much as possible for my short trip to Tokyo.  A few of the places I had to see was Shibuya Crossing, a busy street with a 5 way intersection where hundreds of people appear when the pedestrian light turns green and then disappear again when it's red.  Literally, in a matter of minutes, hundreds of people would fill this small area and Poof!, they're gone.  You have to see it to believe it.



I also found the Shinjuku Goyeon Gardens, Tokyo National Park and took in the calmness of being surrounded by trees and wide open spaces.  There were a few people out with children having a picnic.  Truth be told, Tokyo reminded me of Manhattan, NY.  And the Shinjuku Goyeon Gardens, Central Park.  Still, it was nice to have something to compare it to, being half-way around the world, I was living a dream being able to sightsee for the very first time in my life.


Later that day, I headed to Tokyo Disney Land for an evening of fireworks and fun. Luckily, there weren't that many people there and I got on several rides.  I enjoyed every moment, especially the parade of lights for which hundreds of people set up early to get good view of it all.  Disney Land is definitely a magical place, a place of the young at heart.

The last day in Tokyo, I was able to meet up with a friend who's teaching English and has been in Japan for several years.  A pretty easy day, we caught up with each other, had a nice lunch, did a bit of a shopping spree and when we did say goodbye, it was that she would visit South Korea again.  After three days of sightseeing and hanging out in Tokyo, I was fulfilled.  I filled my eyes up with all the wonder and magic of Tokyo Disney Land, lounged in the National Park, rode a trolley pulled by a person around Asakusa, took in the sights from the two tallest buildings in Japan,  been amazed at the World Trade Center building in Tokyo, cruised the Sumida River, got lost along the way and met up with former classmate, Shonda.  My feet were tired but my heart was content.  I could say, "I've been to Tokyo."    


No comments: