Monday, August 27, 2012

Life in Korea: So Far, So Good


It's been almost three months that I've been in South Korea.  It's kinda surreal that I have packed up my belongings and moved my life to a country on the other side of the world.  Two plane rides, two weeks of jet lag, two suitcases stuffed with all the essentials...  I'm making a life here for myself, a simple life, but still, it's my new life.  I've opened my mind to living a life of balance (prayer, exercise, nutrition and friendships) and I must say, it looks good on me.
During my first month here, I took up yoga.  The studio was a short 15 minute walk from my apartment.  My instructor spoke in Korean with a few words (inhale, exhale, let me be myself) in English.  Nonetheless, I gave it my best.  I pushed through my stiffness and I remember sweating within the first five minutes, and it felt great! 

My yoga instructor was the most flexible person I'd ever met.  She would often tease but also guide us because of our inability to complete the poses precisely, but this was always in good fun.  I miss yoga.  I often think about getting a mat and doing it online, however, I don't think I have the discipline to follow through with this, at least not consistently.

My second month here, I decided to take up taekwondo in a neighboring city. This required me to be up at 7 am and out of the apartment by 8 am to catch the bus for a 40 min ride to I-dong.  After two weeks, I found that this was more effort than I was willing to put out. Luckily, I now live in I-dong and will be resuming taekwondo this week.  

All in all, nearing the end of my third month in Korea, I am more pleased than displeased.  I have several things to look forward to including meeting my new students, accomplishing new goals and getting to know this place called I-dong a little better.  Next month, I am looking forward to camping with friends and possibly a return to yoga. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great blog so far. Keep it up!